Monday 8 December 2014

Remarkable Teams Keep Working At It!

I'm a footy fan - AFL is my code. In particular, I'm a Hawthorn fan. I've had a pretty good run of it over the years. The love affair started in 1986 as a 9 year old kid growing up in Canberra, a land where the rugby codes ruled supreme in the 80's. It was the first time I really watched a grand final on TV and sure enough 1986 was a Hawthorn premiership year. I've been supporting the brown and gold ever since and they've rewarded me with 6 more premierships since then, so not a bad bunch to hitch my wagon to!
Ok, enough indulgence, the point of my message comes down to recent updates in my twitter feed showing photos and video of my mighty hawks already back at pre-season training - trying to get better for another crack at a premiership in 2015. Sure all teams are doing that at this time of the year. The thing that gets me thinking is how sporting teams don't stop trying to improve. 
The hawks are coming off just winning back-to-back premierships. They've been the best team for the last two years (and they came runner-up the year before that too), but they don't rest on achievements of the past. Across the organisation they seek improvement and innovation. It's during this time of the year that coaching and football department staff go on study tours to learn from the best overseas, players go on camps to ensure they have the connections with their team mates that is required for remarkable performances. The pursuit of high performance in elite sport is relentless and impressive.
What about in business? Sometimes when we get to the top of the tree in a particular discipline, or achieve market dominance it can be easy to bask in the mastery or achievement. The challenge is to continue trying to improve. Continue engaging in professional development, keeping your team 'match-fit' and ready to take up the next challenge.
So, as many of us take some time out to reflect on the achievements of 2014, what are you doing to stay on top in 2015? Is your team pulling in the same direction? Do they know the direction? Are your leaders connected into the game plan?
Business and sport aren't so different. Click on this link to connect with me directly if you'd like to keep getting better and start your team's pre-season training for 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment