Tuesday 25 November 2014

Using Profiling Tools to Take Strengths to the Next Level!

I've been a fan of strengths based development all of my life, it just didn't have a name until I was a participant in a talent program at a previous employer some years ago.

I've always used one of DiSC, MBTI or the VIA Strengths Survey as the standard tools for clients/participants to get an understanding of their strengths and/or preferences and then be the basis for group debrief activities, coaching, etc. Today I completed my Gallup Strengthsfinder Survey to get a taste of something different.

Like most people, I love seeing the results of a survey all about ME! Which is great. I find that for the most part, the output results tend to be consistent with how I see myself. Over the years I have had people disassociate from their results and contest the validity of a given profiling tool - whether it's VIA, DiSC, MBTI, etc. and sometimes it makes me wonder if using profiling tools is really that useful... Do people get a benefit from completing these surveys and tools?

I'm running with a YES for the following two reasons:
1. I tend to stick with 'old faithful' tools that have been around a while. It means that they've been validated by a massive sample size of participants and they've been tested by all the skeptics and still survive.
2. Whether the learner agrees or not with the output from a given tool, just the fact that they've completed the survey gives a common ground and language to start the conversation about strengths and preferences, and how to optimise them in the context of work or day to day life. I always run with the "You're the expert of YOU" mantra that ensures people understand that the results of the tool are a starting point and that if it starts a conversation that gets us to a better understanding of developing strengths then we've had a win - It's all about what you do with it!

Take Your Strengths to the Next Level
I'm always happy to share my results with others, and learn more about people's strengths with a view to doing something positive with them. Go to my site to connect about taking strengths to the next level for yourself or your team!

No comments:

Post a Comment